News

Liverpool stadium running late after Buckingham collapse

The completion of an £80m stadium expansion at Liverpool Football Club is running late following the collapse of Buckingham last month.

Liverpool FC chief executive Billy Hogan said the work was not expected to be completed this year, despite the club having sold tickets for seats in the expanded stand. He added that more information was needed before a new timescale could be set.

As soon as Buckingham entered administration on 4 September, Liverpool appointed Lancashire firm Rayner Rowen Construction to complete the project, which will add 7,000 seats to the Anfield Road stand.

In a Q&A published on Liverpool FC’s website, Hogan said: “The reality is, we’re just really now beginning to get a clear understanding of what the reality of the delays are.”

Hogan did not set out a new timeline for the project, saying: “Rayner Rowen really needs the time to complete the information-gathering before we commit to any new project timeline.”

The announcement comes despite the club selling tickets in the upper tier for a match on 21 October between Liverpool and Everton FC and later home games this year.

Hogan added: “We are really disappointed to have to deliver this news and really sorry for all those supporters who are impacted.”

Hogan said that, for more than 80 per cent of the remaining work needed, the club had placed orders with subcontractors who were previously working under the Buckingham Group.

Work began on the Anfield Road expansion in 2021. It will take the capacity of Liverpool’s Anfield Stadium to 61,000.

Article by Construction News 

More News

Award Winning Team

A Youngs Consultancy Success Story. On Friday, Octagon won Gold in the prestigious WhatHouse? Awards for their Broadoaks Park project…

Read More

Our Most Recent Vacancies